I ended up only continuing the cleanse until day 3. Other outside factors collided to make it just not possible to keep up the 'not eating anything' plan. However, although I've added some things back into my diet, I'm still trying to make sure that I'm eating more fruits and veg than any other item (raw, when possible), I'm not consuming things with crazy 5 syllable names, and my dairy consumption (as I said yesterday) is now non-existent. Anything processed is really limited now. Without really meaning to, I've sort of adopted a 'cave man' diet. And I have to say, I'm feeling really healthy and great.
So today Chicken, Link and I have the house to ourselves (aside from a very bad little puppy), so we decided to do some cooking for lunch. Chicken had left over asparagus quiche from last night's supper and about 30 lbs of cantaloupe, and I made myself a really beautiful stir fry. As I've said before, stir fries really are my 'go to' food, and pretty often I find myself turning to them when I just don't know what else to make, especially when I have some particularly beautiful veg that I want to highlight. And since I had a bunch of sweet peppers and pineapple that I bought a few days ago on sale, I decided to make a sweet and sour deal. MAN was it great! I'm going to add pineapple to every stir fry from now on!
For me, the key to a really great stir fry is to just heat the veg through. Cooking it makes everything less flavorful, and you lose so much of the nutrients. The very best stir fries are just a happy mixing together of all the flavours. This particular one contained sweet peppers, pineapple, asparagus, onion, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, tamari, and some thai chili sauce. Just a quick flash in the wok and that's all it takes. DELICIOUS!
For dessert, Chicken and I shared a piece of Grandma bread with some of last summer's plum jam (since her typical dessert of animal crackers got dumped all over the floor last night). I just can't get over how awesome it turned out, and I'm really going to miss our plum trees when we move next month. Hopefully we'll have our farm sooner than later, and I can go back to growing all our own produce.

No comments:
Post a Comment