Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A conversation with my intestines

Being pregnant for the better part of two years really put me in touch with my body. It became integral to really pay attention and listen to what was going on, for the sake of not only myself, but also for the health of my unborn kids.

Because of this, I have a new-found understanding of what it takes to properly fuel my body. I can really feel the difference on the days that I eat primarily raw, unprocessed fruit and veg. When I add in wheat or grains, it starts to go down hill... add in dairy, meat and/or coffee/caffeine and I just feel HORRIBLE. It's gotten to the point where literally every calorie I consume is reflected upon first. I find it so strange that some people eat nothing but processed, crazy monosodiumthalowhatsits infused 'food' and can get out of bed in the morning. That I used to BE one of those people is even more confusing still. I really wonder how much money could be saved on health care in this country if people just slowed down and reflected for a moment on what they were using to fuel their bodies.

That said, I really have to come to terms with the fact that dairy and I just can no longer be friends. Pretty soon I'm going to be eating nothing but nuts, shoots and grass. Maybe though, that'd be a good thing... I think it's closer to what nature had in mind for us as a species.

1 comment:

Canadian Mark said...

...and wild boars too. I have it on good authority that nature intended for us to eat the delicious wild boar.

:-)