Saturday, March 7, 2009

Food for Thought

In keeping with my year of being green, the husband and I had a conversation today about our diets. I've been increasingly eliminating things from our lives that aren't eco-responsible, and I really have a problem eating meat. I've long known the issues with factory farming, but recently had to write a research paper on the industry for my environmental history class. That pretty much clinched it for me... I can't live in my fantasy land anymore where meat is 'okay'. So, today the husband asked me what was 'wrong' with eating meat. And I told him. That sort of sealed the deal... he's going to start hunting us fresh game meat.

Aside from the environmental impact, I don't really have a moral or ethical opposition to eating meat, per say. I don't agree with keeping something in a tiny little cage, torturing it for a few months, and then killing it so that I can eat it. If it spent its days wandering around in the wild, being happy and content, living free and in nature, THEN I can in good conscience eat that animal. THAT is the circle of life of which humans are naturally a part - factory farming is just exploitation of another creature...and that I can't condone.

So, I'm really hoping we can keep this idea in motion. It really is important to me that Chicken and Link grow up with a healthy respect for food and for nature. Those really are the two most central things in my life (besides my family), and I really hope that I can share my love of both with my children.

Now, husband, go out and get us something tasty. I have many recipes waiting to be tried! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When we eventually see you folks, remind me to donate some game meat to this initiative. (It'll be a bit before y'all can harvest your own legally.)

Mandora the Explorer said...

Oki doki. :) I'm never one to turn down delicious delicious meats. Much appreciated!!