Thursday, December 11, 2008

Some things I think you should read

It's been a while since I posted about books, and I read an article in the Shambhala Sun this morning that got me to thinking. There have been a lot of books that have influenced me throughout the years, but some definitely stand out, head and shoulders above the rest. I thought it would be a good exercise in being grateful if I shared these books with you here.


The Wisdom of Forgiveness, H.H. the Dalai Lama & Victor Chan

This book was a Christmas Gift from a certain bibliophile two years ago. I know she bought it for me because she knew I was a Buddhist, and she's very good at matching books to people's interests. However, I bet she didn't know when she gave it to me that reading it would become one of the most profound experiences in my life. This book chronicles the thirty year relationship between Chan and His Holiness, and the intimate look at the daily life of one of the world's great spiritual leaders touched me more than I expected. It helped me to understand that striving for perfection was useless - that trying to be 'beyond' the day to day of 'real life' just simply isn't possible. What we all need to do is to incorporate mindfulness into our daily routines, not alter those routines. This is the book that took me from being a 'buddhist' to a Buddhist. I credit this book with saving my life, quite honestly.




Dharma Gaia: a Harvest of Essays in Buddhism and Ecology, edited by Allan Hunt Badiner

Since this book is the source of the title of this blog, one has to assume that it had a profound effect on me. What I love about this book is that it's a collection of very accessible essays on what could be a very complex topic. It's written so that the lay person with no prior knowledge of Buddhism or ecology will come away with a deep understanding of the important issues facing our world. It was written nearly 20 years ago, and sadly the messages contained within it are even more relevant today. This book introduced me to Joan Halifax, one of my new favorite authors and people. Her writing is so straightforward and accessible that I didn't have to re-read any of it (a problem I usually have when we're talking about Buddhist philosophy).

If you think that you wouldn't enjoy this book, or that it's not for you, I suggest you go to the website and read the excerpt from one of the essays. The following is what inspired me to purchase this book, and I hope, it's what inspires you: [environmentalist John Seed discussing why he can dedicate so much of himself to his work with the preservation of rainforests in Australia] "I try to remember that it's not me, John Seed, trying to protect the rainforest. Rather I'm part of the rainforest protecting myself. I am that part of the rainforest recently emerged into human thinking." This passage succinctly captures what the Buddhist idea of 'interconnectedness' and ultimately 'emptiness' is all about.


The World we Have by Thich Nhat Hanh

Nhat Hanh is one of the worlds preeminent Buddhist scholars, so no book list would be complete without SOMETHING from him. This book is his latest work, and I think, his best. The ideas presented therein are so common sense and obvious that I've found myself over and over saying 'haven't I already read this?' Nhat Hanh is also a poet, and though this book is not poetry per-say, his writing is always fluid and beautiful to read, regardless of the topic. He flawlessly ties in Buddhist mythology with modern science, and the result is an argument that you simply cannot refute - we need a radical shift in consciousness in order to save our world, or ecosystem, and ourselves...nothing else will suffice. In order for the human race to survive radical change is needed immediately.

The ideas of impermanence and interconnectedness play a key role in this work also, and you come away absolutely changed. It becomes glaringly obvious that anything short of total co-operation with our planet is not only irresponsible, but disrespectful and self-destructive. I firmly believe that this needs to be required reading for being able to exist on our planet, simple as that.


I sincerely hope that you enjoy these recommendations, and that you have as profound an experience with one or all of them as I have. Also, feel free to leave your book recommendations for me in the comments. As always, your input is encouraged and appreciated. :)

1 comment:

Queen of Light and Joy said...

Actually, I gave you the book under the "guise" that you were Buddhist (because I know that people accept things when it doesn't seem like they are trying to help) but hoped that you would understand the knowledge that was being passed through it's pages. I knew you needed a book like that... and I'm glad you got it.